Monday, February 20, 2017

Souvenirs

Carnival Tuesday morning we flew back home - the students needed to get back to school, and the crescendoing party in the streets skewed both a little above their age bracket, and a little below us old farts.  Piarco airport was busy this morning, but nothing like it would be Wednesday, after the Lent-signaling street sweepers washed away the remnants of Carnival.

Leading up to my first trip to Trinidad Carnival, I anticipated that attending Panorama Finals would be the crown jewel, and it was an amazing, long-awaited experience.  However, by the time we returned home 3 days later, Panorama seemed like a distant memory, and my most vivid memories involved all the people we met, and how welcoming and excited they were to share their love for their beautiful country.  Pictured are Jonesie and Ryan, who were our eyes and ears among the crowds, along with Joseph and our driver 'Viper'. 

A few days earlier, in the hills above Port of Spain at Fort George, built by the British in 1804.

A more peaceful view of the Queens Park Savannah, with the grandstands visible on the right side.  We saw the Savannah so many times, whether being there for various events or passing around the roundabout to get to another part of the city, and it felt different every time.

One of my souvenirs.  I paid the tourist-who-can't-haggle tax, but next time you see me wearing it at a steel band gig, you'll know it was bought from a stall on the Savannah, and it was 100% worth it.

Delicious Angostura 1919 rum from the duty free.  The customs agent in Miami gave me a raised eye, but he doesn't know how much my wife likes it!  Next time you're over, we'll crack open a bottle and you can see what Trinidad tastes like.  If we haven't finished it all that is..

Back in California, with the last souvenirs that represent the bookends of a memorable Carnival Monday.  I eventually cleaned off most of the silver paint from J'ouvert morning, apart from one splotch shaped like the islands of T&T, that one's staying..  And I have the dumb airport security measures to thank (shoes in the bin please!) for helping me realize that I had brought back evidence of an eerie night with the Blue Devils in the hills of Paramin.

I will never be able to smoke up enough ribs to thank Newton, Liza, and Jim for organizing and bringing me along, and all the terrific students who were a joy to travel with.  Over and over throughout the trip, people I met inquired about two things: when I was going to come back, and who I was going to bring with me.  I'm working on the first part, and I hope this blog might help with the second part.  Thanks for reading.  

When is Carnival next year?


No comments:

Post a Comment